Friday, August 15, 2008

Day Off? Day On!

Yesterday, Friday was my day off. It also was the best day of skiing at Treble Cone all season - epic by any standards. Even the old timers were giddy in the powder. Our wonderful mountain really reminded all of us just how great an experience skiing can be - me most particularly.

Yes, it was a great powder day. Yes, I skied all day on the terrain that justifiably gives TC it's reputation as a great and challenging mountain. Chutes, gullies, bowls, ridges, drops, rolls and awesome steeps all were covered in a blanket of a nearly a meter of dry, light powder. And the sun came out. And I made turns with good friends who appreciate skiing for real and substantive reasons. And my knee wasn't a factor. At all. I'm not as strong as I will be when the Northern Winter begins in November and I'm not quite yet where I'd like to be in my skiing. But, I hammered it all day nonetheless, "wrecking myself" in the way a long brutal bike ride does (a good thing). Having started the day in the lift line as it opened at 9:00, having gotten on the second chair in the Saddle Basin and having gotten many first tracks, I ended the day sitting quietly alone in the sunshine on the porch of the TC Cafe, totally exhausted, incredibly happy, and exceptionally grateful.





















3 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks sweeeet!!!! Ah to be living the dream.

Jigar said...

Hi Russ, thanks for skiing with me on August 23rd at Treble Cone. It's Jigar from Brooklyn, NY. It was awesome. The tips you gave me were awesome.

My wife & I have a blog as well:
http://thejadavs.blogspot.com

Take Care,

Jigar

Anonymous said...

Shred it, Clam.

Yeti