Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fasten Your Seatbelts ...

So far this season, we've had a regular diet of smaller storms that have left Treble Cone with some pretty good conditions overall. This morning, for example, I skied in some wind-blown drifts of some very dry powder that was up to my knees in places but which amounted to only four or five inches overall. All of that should change tonight. Following a morning of blue skies and great conditions, a storm blew in very quickly in the afternoon, reducing visibility to next to nothing in the Saddle Basin. By the time I left the base area for home a little before five o'clock, the snow had already been hammering us for some time. Driving down from TC took an exceptionally long time on our road which is treacherous in even dry conditions.

All of this is relevant for a few reasons. First, the last time I skied in deep snow was the day last year when I blew out my knee. Second, I'm supposed to be on a day off tomorrow but will be skiing with a bunch of pretty good skiing journalists, ripping around the hill instead. Third, I have a pair of fat powder skis that I've never used but which sat right next to my bike on the trainer all winter at home as a motivator. Finally, fourth and most importantly, it's going to be a big powder day. Right now it's not clear how big, but it should be awesome. The storm is dropping snow on town as I write - a rarity - and is supposed to keep up until mid-morning. I hope to capture some good photos of the action tomorrow - I'm not too bashful to ask these journalists to take my picture skiing in uniform (they are journalists, after all). I intend to send a good powder shot to my surgeon, to my physical therapist, to my friends who are enjoying summer, to my friends who are not enjoying summer, and to anyone else who might or might not care.

No comments: