Monday, September 17, 2007

Onward and Eastward


In a season which was not a summer, I’ve skied in a place with no trees, slept in a house with no insulation, worked for a company with no old people, missed one of my best friend’s weddings, and celebrated the Jewish New Year alone by the side of a lake on the other side of the world. That’s all on the surface. Dig deeper and consider that I’ve shared my favorite thing with guests in a dream-like mountain environment, gained a deep understanding of a culture which is alike my own but only at first glance, worked with young and enthusiastic people from around the world, was reminded of how blessed I am to have many great friends in many places, and celebrated the Jewish new year in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. Plus, I’ve gotten to experience spring, with all its joys, twice.

As much as I do love to watch the arrival of spring, I think that there is something lost in not being able to experience the changing of the seasons all the way around. I don’t consider departing Auckland in spring and arriving in New York the same day but in autumn, to be a particularly healthy 180. And no, I don’t think a long layover in Las Angeles makes it any better. It’s particularly funny to celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Wanaka with the leaves budding and Yom Kippur in the Berkshires with the leaves turning. In the abstract, given the subject matter and theme of renewal, spring is probably a more appropriate season for the Days of Awe. Then again, our days on the Jewish calendar start at night, so go figure.

With all of these oddities, all of the difficulties in getting here, living here and working here, I’ve really loved it. I hope to return for another season at Treble Cone and in Wanaka and find more things different, interesting, wonderful, and beautiful to share with my family and friends. Most importantly, I hope to return to some of the people I’ve met here and again enjoy the privilege of their company. If I get to ski again at Treble Cone, all the better.

I'm headed home tomorrow morning. From the time I walk out of my front door in Wanaka and into my home in the US, it'll be about 34 hours when it's all said and done. Phileas Fogg would be proud of the amount of ground covered in that time but I can't help feeling that it's a bit of a formality. It's been a great season here in Wanaka, but it's time to go.

No comments: