Thursday, August 1, 2024

Dr. Freud? Paging Dr. Sigmund Freud!

Maroon Bells from Hayden Peak in Snowmass

I drive a Subaru. If that just made the person next to you snicker, continue reading because the rest of this blog post is about them. If that made you snicker, well, what you do next is entirely up to you.

I am not really a “car guy”. I do not have the desire, bandwidth, or financial wherewithal to care much about what my car says about me, my personal style, my political leanings, or my career choices. I like a car that gets me where I need to go in all weather conditions without fail; that doesn’t break down much and isn’t expensive to fix when it does; and that is reasonably parsimonious on petroleum. My current Subaru has saved my life more than once and delivered me from one end of Vermont to the other in some seriously treacherous ice storms. Yes, in Vermont we have ice storms, as in ice falling from the sky and accumulating on the ground, the trees, the roads, our vehicles, on ourselves, and everything else. My Subaru may actually have snickered at the ice storms.

My vehicle has about 120,000 miles on it. I recently asked the head of service at the nearest Subaru dealer what I should expect will go wrong with my car in the next year, just so I’m ready. His response: nothing, my car is in great shape and should last a long while. I promptly took the vehicle to the local super duper car wash to give it the all-over shine that it deserves.

Since moving to Basalt, Colorado, I’ve spent the lions share of my working life commuting “up valley” to Aspen and Snowmass for work. In my Subaru. Famously, the one road in and out of the Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado Highway 82, is exceptionally busy with traffic that often is shockingly bad. The drive from my home to the Aspen gondola, for example, is 18 miles and in summer can take as long as 75 minutes, and that’s when the highway is not under construction. What this means is that I have plenty of time to watch and consider people’s behavior while driving. In fairness, the nature of the cost of living and housing in particular in the Roaring Fork Valley means that the workforce that makes the world turn here overwhelmingly drives to Aspen from towns far afield, and the result is the terrible congestion and some pretty aggressive driving by people anxious to start the clock on their work day.

Sympathetic though I may be to my fellow commuters, I do wonder whether it is my choice of vehicle that causes people to drive particularly aggressively near and around me. Is there something about a Subaru (especially one with a VT sticker on it) that implicates the self-esteem or self-confidence of people who choose to drive very large, gas guzzling vehicles? Does it hurt the ego of a gentleman driving a very large, super-duty, white pickup truck to be “stuck” behind my supremely practical vehicle even when I am driving at the same speed as everyone in my lane? Do people who spend far too much money on finicky, fancy SUV’s with custom license plates that live in their garages in Aspen during the 45 weeks a year when they are not in residence feel that having to navigate around my Subaru in traffic is somehow beneath them? Insert the etymology of the word ‘pretentious’ here.

Although there are plenty of moments when I just extend my middle finger as these people find salvation in their aggression, I do wonder about conducting an experiment. I’d like to drive different vehicles on the same busy route, at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, at the same speed, and in the same lane, and see if it would make a difference to the way people respond to me. To be clear, I have spent a lot of time driving around the valley this summer in a very large super-duty diesel pickup truck for work, so though my speculation is based on anecdotal experience there definitely is a basis to the hypothesis.

More entertaining than scientific, I occasionally daydream about putting up a big sign on Highway 82 that says “Freudian Therapy, next exit”. I also consider creating an Instagram page that functions like a wall of shame for people whose conduct while driving on 82 is a sign of the demise of Western Civilization: “This week’s winners of the Roaring Fork Freudian Therapy Associates gift certificates are [drumroll, please] … the gentleman in the white Ford F-150 Raptor with Texas license plate LVEGUNS and the woman driving the baby blue Bently Bentayga with Colorado license plate ASPEN-22. You can pick up your winnings at the Pitkin County Sherrif’s office and then schedule your therapy appointment.”

Ok, ok. There are some very nice, very considerate people who get stuck in traffic with me. Some of them are even courteous enough to maintain a respectable distance and let others in-and-out when the highway merges into one lane near the Aspen airport. And occasionally, one of those people will waive just like a Vermonter when I let them in front of me. Hmm, maybe they are Vermonters; or perhaps Maine.

I need new tires for my car. My plan is to make it through the scorching hot summer on my current Baldinis and buy new hoops in the fall before the first snow. And when I do, I’ll be confident that my Subaru will get me to-and-from the mountains safely and easily. And if there are people around me who really need therapy to deal with the impact that driving in my vicinity has on their delicate psyches, maybe I’ll just extend my finger in my mind only. Then again …

No comments: