Tuesday, December 12, 2017

My Career is a Team Sport

Brush Creek in Snowmass, CO
Last week was a pretty typical one for me at this time of year. I spent the weekend days conducting training clinics for the Okemo instructors and helping a young race kid to find his gas pedal without his hair catching fire; and I did an evening shift helping out at The Boot Pro. Monday I was out of boots, getting stuff done. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was at Mount Snow with the Professional Ski Instructors of America doing an understudy to get a close-up look at a new three-day combination certification exam and children’s accreditation. Friday, I was out of boots again, busy doing laundry, packing, getting my equipment dialed and generally dotting I’s and crossing t’s. And that’s where typical ended. Atypical began this past Saturday.

This past Saturday morning I drove to Bradley International Airport and began a long journey in the middle of the first big snowstorm of the season (yikes). The trip ended with a long van ride to the Roaring Fork Valley in Colorado on Sunday that was only slightly faster and more efficient than the original local stagecoach trip. 36 hours after my trip began, I arrived where I’m staying for the next month. In other words, it took 36 hours for me to land fully outside my comfort zone. Welcome to life as “the new guy”!

Change is good, but change is not always easy. I’m here in Aspen to gain some valuable exposure to how they do things here, to get some different perspective and broaden my horizons. Luckily, I do have some close friends here and the staff has been very welcoming. More importantly, I did not really make this trip alone. Along with me, riding side saddle to my experience here, are a number of people without whose support and encouragement, without whose tutelage and patience over the years I would not be in the position I am in the snow sports industry. I am indeed a very lucky man. They make it possible for me to do what I do, they keep me grounded, they’ve helped me carve out my own identity in the business and are an indelible part of who I am as a ski pro. Seriously, folks, they’re amazing. I can’t speak for everyone who does what I do, but for me, deep down in my DNA, my career is a team sport.

When watching an American football game, occasionally the cameras pan along the sidelines, shining the spotlight on the number and array of people it takes to do put teams on the field every week. For me, there is no spotlight and I have no teammates on the field with me, but I definitely have a team behind me 100% of the time. Mike Martini and my friends at Nordica USA provided me with new Dobermans that are simply the very best alpine boots available in the market. My friend Shon Racicot dialed in the fit of those boots in a way very few boot fitters on the planet are able to do, all from the bench in The Boot Pro in Ludlow. Rand Haskell may be the best ski tuner in America and does his miracle work downstairs at The Boot Pro to get my Nordica skis in immaculate shape. Not one member of my Okemo family flinched in encouraging me to come here. Tomorrow I’ll be on snow doing some training with the Ski Schools of Aspen and I’ll get an exceptional look at conditions through the latest POC lenses while protected by their state-of-the-art helmet. My colleagues in the Eastern Division of PSIA are all anxious to hear what I find here and are excited for me. My parents listen dutifully as I explain all of these relationships and how important they are. My Vermont housemates Jinx and Alex put up with all of my various neuroses in a way that boggles the mind. Coach Barb Marshall sits on my shoulder like Jiminy Cricket (only a but surlier) coaching me and keeping me honest in my dedication to our craft. And the echoing voices of so many coaches over the years inform all that I do and resonate day-in and day-out.

The point here is not simply to roll out the credits. The point is that I am not alone as I set about the very difficult task of actually making a living as a professional ski instructor. Not only do I have a team behind me 100% of the time, but the folks on that team are truly some of the best in the world at what they do. And I know that because I travel the ski world with their support. In New Zealand, all around the East, in the resorts around the country where I’ve been lucky enough to work from time to time, and here in Aspen and at Aspen Highlands where I’ll be based, I’m ready to go. I wouldn’t trade any member of the team that got me here and I’m grateful for each and every one of them.

Ooh, speaking of team support, can one of you send some of that snow Vermont's getting my way? Thanks a ton! In the meantime, I need to go and be ready for first chair or I’ll make coach Barb angry. And you wouldn’t want to see her angry.

No comments: