Thursday, December 15, 2016

It Looks A Lot Like Winter

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at Okemo
A few days ago, as I drove from my house in the hills above town to do some errands, I had a slightly odd and extended moment of reflection. The snow plows were out and about clearing people’s driveways and the roads after a big storm. The roads all through town were lined with bright white snow banks. Wind was whipping around the newly fallen flakes and they were dancing around in front of my headlights. The air smelled in that very clean, odorless way that only happens on a cold snowy night. And then, on top of it all, that not-unpleasant but slightly stinging sensation of the flakes striking my face as I walked to from the car to my final destination made me grin like a school kid. What I realized, what made me so happy, was that it simply felt like winter.

‘What the heck?’, I thought. Really, I’ve had 20 winters in the last 10 years and one would think I’d be used to all of this. The problem is that I am, I’m very used to it, I love it, and I’ve missed it. A lot. The “winter” of 2015-16 was winter in name only, and we never really experienced all of the sensations of the season in the way that brings me joy. Yes, we skied and rode a bit. Yes, we did have a few cold days (anyone remember last Presidents’ Weekend!). But we never had a blanket of snow; never experienced that easy enjoyment of the season and it’s ever-so-slight inconveniences that slow us down and allow us to take the time to appreciate all of its beauty. And a proper winter in Vermont is especially beautiful.

Thus far, in just a few short weeks, Vermont has had more natural snowfall than we had during all of last winter. We’ve had sustained cold temperatures since the resorts opened in mid-November and it’s been ideal for our industry’s state-of-the-art snowmaking. The quality of the skiing and riding is as good as it’s ever been this early in the season, it’s still getting better daily, and there’s another storm in the forecast.
The 2015-16 season was the type that can run people out of the snowsports business altogether, it was a brutal test of our mettle and our commitment, and we’re all badly scarred by it. The true extent of the difficulty we all faced last winter is best expressed by just how much joy we all shared this past Monday. It was a real powder day, with enough dry, light snow falling on the mountains throughout the state that even the most jaded old industry pros were out there just being present, in the moment, forgetting last year’s woes and having a ball. The consensus among my friends and colleagues on Monday was that we are all still absolutely in love with skiing and riding. Oh man, do we still love it. All the more so given how badly we needed a reminder of just how good it can be.
This season began with the eyes of the entire ski racing world focused on our little corner of the world for the first time in a generation, and with our people’s passion for the mountains on display for all to see. The success of the FIS World Cup races at Killington reaffirmed our motto “Winter in its original state”, and after last winter’s difficulties that reaffirmation was as much for ourselves as anyone.
What we do in the mountains of Vermont in winter, who we do it with, and the way in which we do it is an expression of who we are. So far this winter, being able to express ourselves in that way without reservation has been remarkably therapeutic and deeply appreciated by all of us. Soon, during the December holidays, we all hope to provide as many guests as we can with the same reminder we’ve been enjoying. And if that means more turns in abundant natural snow for me, I’ll be all the better for it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Russ
Looking forward to coming back to Cardrona this season. Our first day on the snow will be 19 June, hoping to book a lesson with you again too.
Best Wishes
Leisa Low

Russ said...

Excellent, Leisa! I'll look forward to seeing you back at Cardrona soon. Opening day is in just over a week, and there's a shiny, new Chondola waiting for us!