Saturday, August 8, 2009

Into The Light

















I took the photos immediately above and below while standing in my backyard yesterday evening - no editing, filtering, tweaking or fancy camera settings required. In the far background is Mount Niger, which sits next to Treble Cone in the heart of the Mount Aspiring National Park. I took the bottom photos at sunrise on the same day, the first while in the middle of our morning commute and the rest from Treble Cone. On our commute as the sun rose above the horizon, Lake Wanaka turned to fire, and we stopped the staff van on the side of the road and all had a "moment of zen" as we took in the light show.

The circumstances of all of these photos are a sure sign that Spring is approaching here in Central Otago - the sun rises before we get to work and the sky is still light when we get home at the end of the day. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I may endure two winters every year, but I am blessed to be able to experience the joys of Spring, twice. It's already been an exceptional season of skiing and riding at Treble Cone. We've had an amazing amount of snow, we've been quite busy in the Snow Sports School, and the quality of the teaching and skiing of our instructors has been inspirational and quite gratifying given the hard hours put in by those of us responsible for the management and training of our staff. There's still over a month left of the season, and I'll enjoy all of it while looking forward to looking back on it from the warm embrace of Spring.





No comments: