Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Last Patch


It's now the last week in May and, as is the case every year, we may be pardoned for confusing granite for snow as we look up at Okemo. This morning, however, after a cold night and with the forecast showing sun-filled warm days ahead, I thought what I saw up the mountain might really be the last of the snows of the winter just passed. It's illustrative of how great a season it was here in Vermont that there still is any snow at all. For me personally, it's an apt metaphor for the small respite of warm weather I have between winters. I head back to New Zealand in two weeks where the season officially opens on June 30th, and it's already been snowing at Treble Cone.

I frequently am asked how will I survive an entire cycle of the seasons with no summer, and my excitement upon seeing the TC webcams this week seems to indicate that I'll be just fine.










No comments: