Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fifteen Minutes

I had a funny conversation with a friend of mine yesterday evening on the telephone. He commented to me that he had enjoyed the article he'd read about me, to which I responded "What article?" Apparently he had read an article about Okemo and about me in a ski magazine. The question I posed to him is whether fame counts towards my fifteen minutes if I have no idea it's happening. The fact is I recall very well having given a lesson to Karen Lorentz, a long-time Vermont-based ski writer who has done a fair bit of work for Okemo in the past. As far as I was aware, nothing came of our morning together, where she and I spent time on getting her skiing ready for a trip out West by giving her a discrete focus.

Let's be clear, I'm not about to equate getting some good press in Snow East magazine to being covered by an article in Time or appearing in a photo with Paris Hilton in People, but it is a nice piece of PR. The article is about Okemo generally, providing some background on the history of the resort and its development. The magazine is a free, early-season publication distributed in base lodges, ski shops and the like. It's actually a reasonably well-written and thoughtful piece, but it's also as close as I'll ever get to being photographed with Paris, and that's just fine by me.

Here's a link:

http://www.snoweastmagazine.com/articles/Great%20Eastern%20Resorts/Vermont/Okemo%202008.pdf

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I always knew you would be famous. (-;

You can join my club. I've been in the Evening Standard and the Daily Mail you know. And some local London station. I just know I should've been a weather girl in another life....

Fab news on the knee btw. Keep at it! I know you will!